Youth Work in Trades Program
CREDIT FOR YOUR TRADES RELATED PART TIME JOB
WHAT IS THIS PROGRAM ABOUT?
This is an excellent option for students who have completed the Youth Train in Trades program!The Youth Work In Trades Program is an initiative that allows YTT students to claim high school course credit as well accumulate apprenticeship hours with the Industry Training Authority – all for the out of school work they are doing in their part time and summer jobs. The work must be trades related work being supervised by a certified tradesperson to qualify.
CREDITS AND BENEFITS
WHAT DO STUDENTS EARN THROUGH YOUTH WORK IN TRADES?
- Students will earn 4 high school course credits for every 120 hours worked, for a maximum of 16
- If students pursue that trade after high school, their accumulated hours count towards that trade
- Students completing 900 hours, and graduating with a C+ average, may receive a $1000 award from the Ministry of
EXAMPLES OF TRADES
IS YOUR WORK TRADES RELATED? HERE ARE A FEW EXAMPLES….
- Construction Trades – Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrician
- Mechanical Trades – Automotive Service Tech, Millwright, Small Engine Mechanic, Motorcycle Technician
- Hospitality and Service Trades – Cook, Baker, Meat Cutter, Hairstylist
For more information contact your school's Trades Coordinator: Murray McConnachie ([email protected]